The goal of Data Visualization at Capital One is to surface questions that have never been asked before. Our team digs into data sets, large and small, to manifest data in enlightening, understandable ways to fuel decision-making. We’re actively growing our team and looking for data enthusiasts with backgrounds in design and/or engineering.
What’s our mission?
- We’re aiming to change banking for good, which means being brave enough to change how people interact with us AND their money, for the better
- We want to know things that’ll enable us to make strategic decisions with the greatest degree of confidence, driven by real-time data
- Insights should be accessible to us, both as employees of Capital One, and as customers who are trying to make sense of their money
We’re looking for someone who…
- Is deeply creative and driven by playfulness, wonder, and a thirst for understanding
- Is a problem solver with a knack for uncovering elegant solutions
- Asks questions to get at the deeper-level “why” because you prioritize relevance and meaning over the artifact or visualization itself
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN THIS ROLE
As a Capital One Data Visualization specialist, you may come from an engineering or design background. Either way, you will work on internal and customer facing tools, platforms, and libraries with collaborators from across the company.
Rather than take orders on what to build, you’ll engage users in conversations to uncover how they do their work, what tools they use, how they understand their work, and how they currently solve their problems. You will work to explore pain points and areas for meaningful improvement. We work through a human-centered approach.
Engineering focused specialists will spend the majority of their time finding the shape of data. This entails immersing yourself in and exploring the data. You’ll rabidly pull apart and tease out the nuances of the data to understand the breadth, depth, extent, outliers, relationships, and other factors that reveal its structure as a whole. You’ll partner with our DataViz Designers to realize high fidelity visualizations.
You will bring solid experience in technologies such as React, D3.js, WebGL, Processing, Three.js, Unity, and/or Python to name a few. Using these technologies and others, you’ll construct meaningful, interactive, responsive, frictionless, and succinct visualizations for a variety of subject matters and domains.
Design focused specialists will spend the majority of your time exploring the shape of data visually. You live and breathe in Illustrator, Photoshop, and similar tools. You’re comfortable in Excel, Tableau, or similar tools to understand your data. You’re passionate about layout, typography, color, and have the expertise and awareness to defend your design choices. You sweat the details, but not at the expense of the big picture. You recognize that data visualization design optimizes for comprehension, engagement, and contextualization, and you’ve done your homework on perception and cognition.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, HCI, Computer Science or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience working in cross-functional teams
- At least 2 years of experience designing or building data visualizations
- 2+ years of experience engineering data visualizations and interactive experiences
- Experience in React, NodeJS, and AWS
- Experience in NLP, AI, and ML
- At least 3 years of professional experience in one of the following: data visualization design, graphic design, or creative computing
- At least 3 years of experience with Adobe Illustrator
- At least 3 years of experience with front-end CSS coding
Let’s talk – everything you’ve just read is intended to be a jumping-off point for our conversation. So if you’re intrigued and would like to learn more, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with a few sentences on what’s particularly interesting to you about this opportunity, your resume and a portfolio/work sample.